The role of engineering requirement is the highest in street/road lighting, compared to all other forms of lighting. The reasons are:
- They are on for long hours averaging on 12 hours per day
- They are exposed to the extremes of weather.
- They have to be designed to operate even when the temperature due to sun is the highest, as some one may test the light at that time
- The cost of replacement is the highest, due to physical distances and need for special equipment to reach the lamp.
- Any moisture, dust and other extraneous matter can affect the electrical/electronic circuits.
- Even when the lights are designed as IP66, improper replacement of gaskets etc, can cause moisture/ dust to enter the enclosure
- deposits on the inside of the glass/light transmitting surface would reduce the transmission of light.
- Tarnishing of the reflector inside will cause reduction in the light at the road surface.
Taking all these into account, SECO’s road light has been designed to last for a long time. SECO’s lights are hermetically sealed – no provision for opening and all the possible problems are eliminated.
- The outer casing is Galvanised iron with protective paint. Anodised Aluminium or ply carbonate are also used for some models.
- The transmission is through glass which does not deteriorate over the time.
- The deposition on the down ward surface is expected to be very low, which can be removed by wiping the outer surface.
- In addition to all the above, SECO’s LED street light provides almost the same level of lighting , at less than half the energy consumption. Presently, they are designed for 120 degree dispersion. they are available in 7 W / 10 W / 15 W / 25 W / 40 W / 70 W and 100 W.
- For specific cases, special photometry can be adopted and special lights designed, based on comitted volumes.